Backgrounds
Wood Backgrounds

Sunday, June 15, 2008

1 Peter 5:6-11

Humble yourselves therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of sufferings are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To Him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

My name is Megan Richard, I’m 20 years old and I’m from Bloomington, Minnesota. I just arrived back to Manila just a few days ago, on June 11. I was here serving as a short-term volunteer from January until April of this year. In hindsight I’m not sure how to describe what I came for at first, I wasn’t sure where I would be used or where I would fit once I got here, but I came. I have had a lifelong heart for missions and the opportunity was there for me to serve with KIM so I took it. A few weeks after I got here, I plugged into the community school, assisting the first and second grade classroom and teaching art and music. That was an unexpected but amazing part of my experience, and ultimately the reason I came back.

When I started to feel God calling me back to teach art and follow the students through this next school year…my first reaction was fear. Questions and what-ifs and worries clouded what could have been an easy ‘yes, I’ll do this for You, God…’ But that was the beauty of learning faith and trust and surrender. If I was going to make it work for me to come back in June, I knew I needed to start sending emails home for prayers of confirmation that this was God’s will for my life right now and get started on raising support, but AGAIN, I was too scared to let people at home know I was considering coming back. I knew people would be supportive and encouraging, but I think right alongside the fear of committing was bringing other people into the consideration. It was definitely a step towards a ‘yes’. But finally I knew clearly that God wanted me to come back and finally humbled myself enough to see what an amazing blessing it is to be called.


I went home in April knowing I had two months to raise support for the next year of my life…so I got to work and saw that the Lord was already working. Way ahead of me, to no surprise. There are plenty of stories of miracles beyond me that give tremendous glory to God, but for the sake of the length and the time it will take to read of all the wonders, I will make the long story short. I’m back fully supported for the year that I plan on being back here for and I am so thankful for that…but…I returned to the states knowing I had to raise support and only hoping I could collect some supplies needed for the upcoming school year as well. Six large boxes are on their way to Manila right now filled with handwriting tablets, notebooks, scissors, dry-erase markers, staplers/staples, pens, pencils, glue sticks, tape, teacher record books, construction paper and so many other art supplies, and so much more that should all last through this school year and beyond.

It’s a humbling, glorious time witnessing what happens within the body of Christ when there is work to be done for Him. So many people embraced and lifted up the ministry here, listened to how they were supposed to be apart of it, and obeyed without question in such a small amount of time.

Restore.
Confirm.
Strengthen.
Establish.

To Him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment